Name:
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Single mother of three girls - one biological (via IVF) and two adopted.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Monday moods

I woke up this morning to a Lucie Blue Trembley song playing on the radio. Lesbian folk music being played on public radio! I couldn't believe it! It made me smile, and seemed like a good omen for the day. I remember when I was in college and a friend of mine labeled all her lesbian music with a red dot, so she'd know at a glance which ones she could only pull out for certain company. Now it is on mainstream radio!

From there, I got on the bus to work and started reading the paper (which for some mysterious reason has been delivered to my house the past several monday and tuesday mornings). One of the first things I read was a column by Molly Ivins on the fact that we are debating on whether or not torture is ok. My mood did a complete 180. From peaceful and relaxed I moved right into angry and cynical. I totally agree with her ideas. The idea of torture should NEVER even be considered. Ever. Not by us, not by any body. But just because THEY might do it, does that give us the right to as well? I certainly hope not.

And that brought up the whole idea of Dru Sjoden's killer again. Is what happened to her horrific? Definitely. Should the man be punished? Most definitely. Should the man be killed? Most definitely NOT. I remember even as a fairly young child questioning the death penalty. If someone gets put to death for killing someone, don't we then have to put the person that put said killer to death to death? And so forth and so one? Until there is no one left? The death penalty is not an answer to ANYTHING. Any more than all the killing in war is. I certainly hope this is not a symptom of the way things are to go here in the upper midwest. And I hope if I ever get called for this kind of case, I have the courage to face the court and say "I will NEVER agree to put someone to death."

1 Comments:

Blogger sjobs said...

Oh Erin, is that you????

BTW, I watched the game in person.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home